Construction of the buildings at Greystone Mill began in 1904 and all major components were in place by the ends of an extensive expansion campaign completed in 1911.
The site and the surrounding neighborhood are visually dominated by the Main Mill, a five story brick building over 500 feet long that parallels the river on the west side of the property. All of the attached elements of Greystone Lofts share a common and consistent vocabulary of exterior materials and features established by the initial design of the earliest buildings by Providence mill designer/engineer Frank P. Sheldon & Son Company, and as continued through about 1911.
Urban Smart Growth's rehabilition of the mill is the premiere rehab project in Rhode Island, currently boasting over 95% occupancy and possible development of condos starting within the next year. It has also earned Urban Smart Growth several architectural awards and the Smart Growth Rhode Island award in Design and Economic Impact.